Healthy Banana Bread Mini Muffins With Whole Wheat Flour
These mini banana muffins recipe is a perfect addition to your toddler’s lunchbox and also great as a grab and go breakfast for the kids. Best part, the mini muffins are made with whole wheat flour and organic coconut sugar, so these are no added refined sugar and no refined flour healthy mini muffins.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The mini banana muffins are perfect for the little sweet cravings, and also a great option for a lunchbox treat for kids. These little banana muffin bites are made with whole wheat flour and organic coconut sugar, so they are free of refined flour and added refined sugar. So, if you are looking for a healthy dessert, but in small proportions, these muffins are the best option to bake next in your kitchen!
The idea of mini muffins came to my mind while packing my daughter’s lunch one day while I was looking for creative kids lunchbox friendly food options. And also, I always had mini brownie bites recipe at the back of my mind to try. So, the mini muffin pan was then used to create these little bites of goodness.
The fact that these muffins are small bites and healthy makes them a perfect treat for small hunger pangs. And for me, now I am more excited about taking these mini muffins to our next trip together. I’m sure these would serve as great car snacks or even camping snacks option.
Ingredients & Substitutes
- Whole Wheat Flour
Whole Wheat Flour is a great substitute for the refined flour or all-purpose flour that is used normally for baked goods. It is a healthier alternative since whole wheat flour contains more protein, fiber and other nutrients.
- Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
Coconut Palm Sugar is a healthier sweetener option compared to the refined sugar. It is derived from the sap of coconut palm tree, so it is a plant based sweetener with distinctive flavor, identical to brown sugar. I actually use coconut palm sugar and jaggery powder interchangeably in my recipes a lot.
Needless to say, bananas are the heart of this recipe, since we are talking about banana muffins here. As I always say, the more ripe the bananas, the better!
- Ground Cinnamon
Bananas and cinnamon together is an amazing flavor combination. The sweetness of bananas pairs up well with the woody spiced flavor of ground cinnamon here. But feel free to skip the cinnamon completely, if you wish to.
Just like other recipes of mine, if you want to substitute eggs here, the easiest and best option to go for will be Yogurt. This recipe calls for 2 eggs, so replace both the eggs with 1/2 cup of plain yogurt.
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
I have used regular sized chocolate chips here. But feel free to use mini chocolate chips if you have them handy.
- Other Ingredients
The rest of the ingredients in this recipe include baking soda, salt, butter and vanilla essence.
Banana Bread Mini Muffins: FAQS
The mini banana muffins are baked at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (which is equivalent to 180 degrees Celsius) in a mini muffin pan in the oven. Remember to preheat the oven at the right temperature before putting the muffins in.
The mini muffins will take around 15 minutes in the oven to be completely baked. Also, don’t forget to do the toothpick test before removing the muffins from oven. The inserted toothpick in a muffin should come out clean, there should not be any batter sticking on the toothpick.
Here is a step by step process to make the healthy banana chocolate chip mini muffins!
- To the mashed bananas in a bowl, add melted butter and coconut sugar, and mix.
- Add vanilla essence and eggs and mix again. Whisk till all the ingredients are completely blended.
- Sift whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon over the wet mixture. Using a spatula, mix everything together (do not over-mix at this stage).
- Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and gently fold into the muffin batter.
- Grease and dust the muffin pan. Preheat oven to 350°F (or 180°C). Pour batter into mini muffin cups. Bake the muffins in preheated oven for 15 minutes or till done.
- The Mini Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips are ready to be served warm, or these can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week!
Storing & Freezing Instructions
Once baked, after they cool down, the mini banana muffins can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week. Also, these muffins can be stored in the freezer for upto three months. To serve frozen muffins, thaw the frozen muffins at room temperature and simply heat them up in the microwave for around 30 seconds.
Optional Add Ins
In addition to the semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can also add the following ingredients to the muffin bites!
- Crushed walnuts
- Sliced almonds
- Chopped hazelnuts
- Dried cranberries
Bananas are the heart of this recipe, and if you like this one, then definitely check out other healthy banana based recipes from the blog. Here are a few to start with!
- Healthy Banana Cookies
- Eggless Banana Muffins
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Eggless Banana Bread
- Banana Oatmeal Waffles
Also, this recipe is a part of Julie & Julia series that I had started to document the first 100 recipes on the blog. This one is recipe #69. Also, don’t forget to check out the video of these mini banana muffins, it is linked below in the recipe card.
And if you like the video, then don’t forget to like and share the video on YouTube. Most importantly, don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel, Bake With Kanwal for more such healthy recipes. For now, enjoy the recipe of the delicious and healthy mini muffins!
Healthy Banana Bread Mini Muffins With Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Organic coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3 Bananas medium, over-ripe, mashed
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Butter unsalted, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- To the mashed bananas in a bowl, add melted butter and coconut sugar, and mix it thoroughly.
- Add vanilla essence and eggs and mix once again. Whisk till all the wet ingredients are completely blended.
- Sift whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon into the wet mixture.
- Using a spatula, mix everything together (do not over-mix).
- Add semi-sweet chocolate chips to the mixture and gently fold into the muffin batter.
- Grease and dust the muffin pan. Preheat oven to 350°F (or 180°C). Pour batter into mini muffin cups. I baked in batches, first used the 24 mini muffin tin. Bake the muffins in preheated oven for 15 minutes or till done.
- The Mini Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips are ready to be served warm, as a healthy lunchbox treat, or these can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week!
- Organic Coconut Sugar – If Coconut Sugar is not available, you can replace it with equal amount of Jaggery Powder (unrefined cane sugar powder). These are a form of healthier sugar alternatives.
- Do not over-mix the batter after adding dry ingredients.
Leave a Reply